Massage is extremely useful in the treatment of so many health conditions, but there are some certain instances when you should not get massage.
Some examples of when you should not get a massage are:
- When you have a contagious skin disease or rash (like Impetigo, poison ivy, etc)
- Recent stroke or heart attack
- Recent bone fracture or sprain
- In the first trimester of pregnancy
- Uncontrolled hypertension
- During acute rheumatoid or osteoarthritis
- When you suspect a blood clot
- If you have acute gout
- If you are sick with the cold or flu
There are others I’m sure I haven’t covered here. If you are ever unsure please contact me or your physician. In addition massage can be effective in bringing comfort to those fighting cancer, but it is important for me to communicate with your doctor so that we can work at appropriate times during your treatment. I may require a doctors note and a release of information so to treat you in a way that helps not harms.